Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Ingredients for the Project

Here goes my first of hopefully many blog entries (depending of course on the number of recipes I receive). I'm not really sure of what exactly incited the idea to merge two of my hobbies and report the results in a blog, but I figured it would be worth giving it a shot.

About a month ago I signed up for an account with Postcrossing - Postcards Traveling the World.

It was a fun way to connect to people I have never met from around the globe without the commitment of the old fashioned pen-pal. Postcards were simple, cheap, and efficient - not to mention pretty. :-)

I decided that instead of random messages of "wishing-you-well", or "if ever you're here you should come visit" (like that would ever happen) it be cool to exchange recipes with people. What is a better way to reach out to someone and experience a part of their culture than through their cuisine?!?

So here is my plan for this project. I will setup an account with Postcrossing asking for people to send me a postcard with their favorite recipe written on the back. Once I receive their postcard I will secure the ingredients and then try to create their recipe from my own kitchen! (then of course I will blog about it).

But I will have to follow a few rules....

3-simple-rules of the game:

1) I won't request any specific recipes.
I'll try to avoid sharing my personal palate preferences with anyone, and I won't divulge any likes or dislikes of any particular foods. I'm not aware of any food allergies so I don't expect this to be an issue.

2) I won't substitute ingredients.
Sure there are substitutes for almost every product out there, but I will stick to whatever is detailed in the postcard. I will only seek out substitute ingredients if the given ingredient is not available.

3) I won't try to fix the recipe!
This is gonna be a toughie for me. Seriously, I am a cajun and need to put Tony's Chacheres on everything!

So there you have it, my recipe for adventure!
Stay tuned true believers, this is sure to be as crazy as it is tasty!

3 comments:

  1. Excellent project idea! I'll be watching. -Jax

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great! Thanks Jax.
    The frequency of my posts will depend on how often I receive recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds very interesting! I'm looking forward to the next recipes!

    ReplyDelete